Senior Culinary Developer
- Location: Savage, MD
- Position Type: Full-Time
Ideates, develops, and commercializes products within the sous vide category for Kettle Cuisine, delivering concepts and recipes for the sales and innovation pipelines, to support driving innovation and expansion within the category.
Role and Responsibilities
- Generates factory-ready innovation that drives top- & bottom-line growth.
- Develops new product concepts and formulations for the sous vide and meal portfolio following product-brief guidelines, including specific internal/customer requirements, costs, raw materials, production limitations, labor costs, etc.
- Collaborates with procurement, sales, process, and operation teams to develop products of high-culinary quality and maintain operational feasibility.
- Works with the sales team to introduce products or ideation to multiple sales channels, including Food Service, National Accounts Retail, Mass, and Club channels.
- Supports marketing, channel and sales efforts with creative input, ideation, and feasibility.
- Develop appropriate customer relationships and touch-points with customer teams.
- Builds strong relationships internally with stakeholders including Sales / Process / Marketing / Production / Procurement / Finance / Quality Assurance / Regulatory
- Maintains accurate documentation throughout the development process, including ideation of concepts, recipes and formulations, and further proof of concepts on the bench-top and plant floor.
- Supports Sr. Innovation Chef’s initiatives through partnership to support facilitating product/process ideation, bench-top testing, and production trials.
- Support the development of junior team members through coaching and L&D
- Diligently uphold operational excellence and hold others accountable for facility maintenance and GMP standards.
Level Of Responsibility
- Works under general supervision. Makes decisions within clearly prescribed areas, referring matters that fall outside that area to senior and/or cross-functional team members.
- Serves as a leader and coach to junior developers.
- Builds/seeks consensus across functional areas.
- Advises customers on proper use of company products.
- Position is solely responsible for generating revenue within the product line and production facility.
- Ineffective actions could result in significant loss of time, resources and/or could have moderate impact on the organization’s public image.
- Decisions or actions have a significant impact on the organization. Errors are difficult to detect and may be difficult and/or costly to correct.
- Decisions may have a significant impact on resources and organizational effectiveness; funding, productivity, service, quality, security of assets or external relationships may be adversely affected.
- Cross-trains other employees and answers questions from co-workers but is not responsible for performance management.
- Associate degree, or equivalent experience required, with focus in Culinary Arts or Food Science required.
- Requires three - five years in Product Development.
- On-the-job training of 3-6 months.
- Must be proficient with MS Office programs, specifically Excel and Outlook.
- High energy and passionate about food, product & brand
- Experience within food manufacturing, with sous vide experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the fresh and natural foods industry
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Customer-Centric thinker
- Professional and capable demeanor with customers and colleagues
- Creative culinary skills with commercial mindset
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects – highly organized
- Accuracy mindset – Keen attention to detail
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a Development Chef encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work requires occasional physical exertion including some lifting of objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Willing and able to stand for extended periods of time.
Mental & Visual Demands
- Work performed by this position requires considerable mental concentration to effectively execute complex tasks.
- Work requires continuous visual effort for extended periods of time.
Work Environment and Hazards
- Employee works in a manufacturing setting with frequent exposure to heat/cold, dust, or other factors that may require protective equipment and still pose a hazard.
- This position has regular exposure to hazards that could result in significate injury and lengthy loss of time at work.
- 10-15% travel is required for this position. Travel may be out-of-state and occasionally require overnight stays.
Kettle Cuisine takes the utmost pride in its people, products, and reputation. Each employee is expected to understand and live our Core Values every day.
- Honor Food – We create and produce the best tasting, safest, all natural recipes that strive for perfection in every batch, from bench to kettle.
- Honor Each Other – We seek to develop trusting, respectful and mutually rewarding relationships with all our team members and business partners.
- Honor Development – We recognize and nurture each other’s talents, strengths, and interests in order to further strengthen and grow our team.
- Honor Innovation – We continually strive for creative and sustainable ways to achieve excellence.